When it comes to finding the right water filtration system for your home, you’ll want to make sure that you do all your research to make sure that you have the best system that money can buy.
Because often there are a lot of harmful materials that get into your water supply. Calcium, chlorine and even girt and dirt can usually get through your tap in minuscule amounts. So why not get a water filtration system that guarantees clean water in every room in your house?
So where can you get the best water filtration systems that will work in your whole house? What features do they come with? What is the best material for a water filtration system?
Well, if you want the complete low down on whole house water filtration, we would suggest you keep reading.
Best Whole House Water Filtration Systems
iSpring Whole House Water Filter System
First up, we have a 3-stage filtration system that you can be sure will remove stubborn contaminants like sediment and chlorine from your water system.
This will take away large particles of dirt that you can often find in your water system. This has a special filter that will remove excess iron and manganese.
This is also one of the easiest filters to install, it comes with links to many handy Youtube tutorials that will demonstrate them to you visually, rather than force you to read reams of complicated diagrams.
It’s shocking to think that industrial solvents and herbicides can get into your water supply, but they can. Luckily, this filter is designed to remove those particles.
This will first filter down your sediment levels to around 5 microns. It then creates a carbon block filter that will really give you a premium level of filtration for anyone looking to remove all harmful contaminants from your water supply.
All you need to do is hook this one up to the main water supply and you should be ready to go. This is made from A-grade plastic that is not designed to degrade.
The good thing is that this filtration system will not remove all of the minerals from your water supply and actually works to keep some of the healthy ones in there.
- Large capacity – this will allow you to retain 100,000 gallons of water, which will allow you to keep a family of five with clean drinking water for at least a year.
- Low maintenance – the great thing about this water filtering system is that it does require you to maintain it constantly.
- Easy Youtube installation – this comes with plenty of tutorials for you to learn visually because it is often much harder to read diagrams.
- Removes harmful minerals, and keeps the good ones – this one will get rid of things like manganese and iron and keep good calcium and other body-enhancing minerals.
- Does not remove all solids – if you want a water filtration system that removes all of the solids and minerals from your water, then you might want to opt for something else.
Express Water Whole House Water Filter
Next up, we have another 3-stage filtration system that you can be sure will help you get rid of all the harmful elements from your water supply.
This comes with handy filter cartridges that are very easy to replace. If you don’t know that much about water filtration systems, then you should look at this one, as it makes it really easy for you.
Sometimes things like rust can even get in your water but don’t worry, this filtering system can handle those things.
This filtering system is actually designed to get rid of around 52 different contaminants that are often found in local water supplies.
This is a great filter if you want to protect your family from certain harmful elements in your water.
This is one of the most durable water filtering systems that we have on this list. It comes made with stainless steel frames, so you can be sure that it is built to last and will not easily succumb to water erosion over time.
- 3-stage filtering – you can be sure that this one will get rid of all the water in your system through a 3-tiered system.
- Solid build quality – you can be sure that you’ll have everything that you need for a decent filtering system that will not break down over time.
- Replaceable cartridges – this comes with cartridges that you can switch out when you need to. This is great for anyone who does not consider themselves a decent plumber.
- Anti-rust – it is not pleasant to think that rust can get into your water supply. However, this filtering system deals with this quickly and efficiently.
- Does not come with Total Dissolved Solids – again, if you want to completely purify your water, then we would suggest that you have a look at something more comprehensive.
3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Sanitary Quick Change Water Filter System
If you want something that not only improves the quality of your water but will also noticeably improve the taste, then we would suggest that you pick up some of this water.
The Aqua-Pure comes with filters that you can replace easily and quickly. This is great for anyone who has a busy home life and does not have the time to really get to grips with basic plumbing.
This is also corrosion-resistant, with a combination of stainless steel and copper piping that will really resist repeated immersion in a lot of water.
This comes with a great flow rate, which will allow you to store a lot of water. This is perfect if you have a large family that is often using the kitchen sink, the shower and the water fountain at the same time.
This has been tested by NSF Standards, which will ensure that all of these water systems function properly and will deliver you only the best in water quality.
If you have a larger home, then this is also a great water filtration system. It is reliable and will not malfunction even if you are running water from several different sources in the house.
- Removes acrid tastes – if you have a strong chlorine taste in your water, then this will do the trick for restoring that clear and thirst-quenching taste.
- 100,000-gallon capacity – if you have a large home with a lot of people using a lot of water all of the time, then we would suggest that you get this filtration system.
- Easy filter changes – if you want to switch out your filter quickly, then having a filtration system that allows for that will be ideal.
- Produces large volumes of clear water – if you are looking for something that will both the kitchen and your two bathrooms, then this is a great filter to have.
- Some people have complained that this filter can alter the water pressure of their home, but this could be due to improper installation.
APEC Water Systems ROES-50 Essence Series Top Tier 5-Stage Certified Ultra Safe Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System
Next up we have a filtration system that is designed with only the best quality in mind. You can be sure of having a premium level of water quality once you’ve installed this one.
This will remove over 99% of hazardous media from your home water system. This will get rid of nitrates, lead, heavy metals, fluoride and arsenic.
This is made by a company that comes with a great reputation for making top-of-the-range filtering products that will get your water clean nine times out of ten.
This comes with plenty of tutorials that you can be sure will help you demonstrate how to install your filtering system quickly and efficiently. This will reduce the number of sprung leaks and corruption that will affect your water filter.
That comes with a clamping lock system and a leak detector alarm that will alert you to any leaks that are happening to your filtration system. This is great if you want that complete coverage.
If you want pure drinking water, then you can’t go far wrong with this solid filtering system. You will even notice the difference in taste and the distinct lack of odors.
This also comes with its own faucet that is completely lead-free. This is great if you want to reduce all types of possible contaminants that could come through your tap.
- Long-lasting filters – not only are these filters really easy to change, but they will last you a heck of a long time.
- Large storage – with around 100,000 gallons of water storage, you can be sure of having clean running water for you and your whole family.
- Leak detection – you can be sure that you’ll have plenty of prevention when it comes to leaks in your home.
- Eliminates 1000 contaminants – this will get rid of any possible harmful chemical or material that could find its way into your water.
- Reports of leaks – some users have reported leaking in their from their filtering system into their drains, which will be the cause of significant issues later down the line.
iSpring WGB22B 2-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System
Now we have a similar system to the first one we listed, although this one now comes with a smaller filtration system with 2 stages instead of 3.
However, this does not impact the effectiveness of this water filter and actually makes the price a lot more affordable.
This is another whole-house filter that will certainly give you peace of mind if you have a large family and you want to ensure that they have clean drinking water.
This comes with an easy-to-use manual as well as Youtube videos that will really help you to visualize how your filtering system is going to look when you attach it to your water tank.
This filtering system will not impede the flow of water in your home, so you won’t have to worry about any change in pressure. All you have to do is hook this one up to the mains and you’re away to go.
This comes with filter cartridges that are very easy to change, which is great if you do not have the time or you do not consider yourself that confident when it comes to DIY plumbing.
This will filter out both sediment and carbon, which is great if you want to get rid of all harmful media from your water supply.
This one also keeps all the healthy minerals in your water, as there are some ingredients in your water that are necessary for the body to thrive and stay healthy.
- DIY installation – if you are looking for something that you can set up in your own home with minimal knowledge of plumbing, then this is a great unit.
- Hardly any maintenance – if you are running a busy family, the last thing you’ll be wanting to do is sort out leakages or malfunctions in your water filter. Luckily, this one takes care of itself.
- Removes 95% of all sediment – this will get rid of a lot of the sediment from your water, which is very important for keeping your water clean and drinkable.
- Durable – if you want something that is not going to degrade within the first year of purchase, then try this one, as it is made from amazing materials.
- Only 2 filters – if you are looking for that complete and comprehensive water changing system, then you might want to look at a 3-stage filter system.
iSpring CRO1000 4-Stage Tankless Commercial Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System
Next up, we have a filtering system that comes without a tank, which will make it much easier to install and maintain in the long term.
This will remove around 99% of all contaminants, including chlorine, arsenic, calcium and sodium. You won’t have to worry about any impurities in your water with this one.
You can replace these filters every 6 months, which results in a very low maintenance filtering system.
This will allow you to filter out around 1,000 gallons of water every day. This is great if you have a larger household with a few bathrooms and plenty of water sources.
This is a portable unit, which is great if you ever want to renovate your kitchen and have to move the position of the sink.
If you are looking to clean the water that runs through your coffee maker, pool, refrigerator or ice maker, then this will be ideal for all of your needs.
You can also very easily install this unit. The flexibility is the best thing about this water filter, allowing you to move it wherever you like in the house. It is also very easy to store, great if you want to create your own storage unit.
This will allow you to filter out more extreme contaminants such as arsenic and asbestos. This is great if you are moving into a new home and you’re uncertain as to what pollutants you’re letting into your home.
- Portable – comes on wheels with a metal frame and a set of brakes, you can set up this water filter wherever you like.
- Sturdy construction – you can be sure that this one will be able to withstand a lot of impacts and repeated water exposure over many months and even years.
- Great for larger houses – if you want something that can take a large volume of water, then this is the one you’ll want.
- Great for commercial use – if you want clean water for your business, then this is a great water filtration system, allowing you to deliver clean water to your coffee machine or dishwashing area.
- Too small – some people might find this smaller and more portable unit not sufficient or consistent enough for their needs.
iSpring Whole House Water Softener System with Backwash Feature
Finally, we have a water filtration system that will soften any hard water that you have coming into your home.
If you live in an area with hard water (that is, very mineral-rich water), then having a filter like this that will take out a lot of the impurities will be great.
This will help you descale any limescale buildup that you might have in your kettles or on your shower. This is a common problem for anyone who lives in an area with a lot of hard water.
This comes with a backwash regeneration system that will improve the quality of the filter by removing all of the excess media that will build up in your water tank.
This will give you great water for cooking and bathing, removing a lot of the hard minerals that can sometimes irritate sensitive skin.
- Corrosion- and rust-resistant – this comes with materials that stand up to repeated exposure to water and will last for one year at least.
- Adjustable – you can change the amount of hardness in this water, which is great for determining the softness of the water that comes out of the other end.
- Reduces scaling – if you are experiencing residue or stubborn limescale, then removing all of the minerals through your filter will help to rectify that.
- Troublesome setup – when you are installing this filter, then it might be slightly fiddly, which might be problematic for anyone with zero plumbing knowledge.
When you are looking for a whole house filter, there are certain features that you won’t want to be without. Here are a few things that you should be looking for with your water filter:
How Durable Is It?
Ideally, you’ll want a filter system that can withstand high exposure to water over a long period of time. We would recommend getting something made from fiberglass or plastic and steel.
What Media Does It Filter?
The more contaminants that your water filter can remove, the better. You should make sure that your water filter is equipped to deal with chlorine, asbestos and nitrates as well as rust and other large particles.
How Expensive Is It?
You can get multiple systems that are worth different prices depending on their capabilities. You can get filters that are worth $500, which is the cheaper end of the spectrum. You can also get high-end filters that cost around $5000.
How Easy Is It To Install?
Having a water filter system that is easy to install is very important, as it reduces the likelihood of you installing it incorrectly and ultimately impeding the function of your water filter.
A lot of these filters will come with Youtube videos, which will demonstrate visually how to set up your filter. This is ideal and will avoid you having to look through reams of diagrams.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Should My Water Filter System Last?
Your filtering system should last you a few years, although we would recommend changing the filters once every 3 to 6 months. This is because particles will build up on your filters which will ultimately block the pores and reduce the functionality of your filter.
What Is A Micron Rating?
The micron rating is the size of the media that your filter will be able to block. If your filter has a 5-micron rating, then you can be sure that it will be able to block out most debris. However, some of these filters do have trouble with clogging.
Where In My Home Should I Install My Whole House Filter?
You should set up your water filter system near the shut-off valve, which will usually be located in your garage or on the side of your house. If you are replacing an old filter, then remove it and install the new one in its place.
We hope that this article has helped you to decide which water filtration system will be the best for your home. Remember to read plenty of reviews, especially if you are buying your filter online, as this will help you make a good judgment on the right one to buy.